Firefighter    ■    Power Dispatcher    ■    Husband    ■    Daddy    ■    Grandpa    ■    Crazy Man

Friday, June 11, 2010

Losing Sight of the Purpose

I cannot explain - maybe some of my readers can - the train of thought that prompts some of my brethren to place apparatus wheel chocks at an angle to the tire.

Wheel chocks are designed to take the brunt of a rolling tire square on, so as to evenly transfer the force against the lower far edge of the chock to the ground.

Placing the chock at an angle creates imbalanced transfer of forces, inviting lots of interesting new scenario outcomes. One interesting possible outcome is the violent launching of the wheel chock.

So, seriously, why do some guys do this? Maybe I should ask, I admit I have not done so. The only thing I can come up with is that it makes it easier to see from the mirror so you don't miss it and leave it behind and/or drive over it.

If you do your walk around and practice good apparatus operator habits, this should not be a problem. That said, I've driven over a few wheel chocks myself.

But, I digress.

I recently came across this wheel chock deployment on Engine 55.

When you reach the point of modifying your practices so far that you nullify the point of the practice in the first place... well, I don't know what to call your behavior, but wake up and pay attention to what you're doing, please. Seriously.

I took the proper steps to get this corrected here. If it's happening at your place, here's your chance to see what lies ahead and why you should nip it now.

That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment