Firefighter    ■    Power Dispatcher    ■    Husband    ■    Daddy    ■    Grandpa    ■    Crazy Man

Monday, April 5, 2010

The last straw

It was raining.

Hard.

I pulled into the grocery store, parked, stepped out into the downpour, flopped up my hood, and started walking to the door.

I was in a bad mood already, not important or even interesting as to why.

A car pulled up in right front of me in the fire lane outside the front, stopped, made me stop walking so I didn't walk smack into the passenger door. A really nice car. I get paid well by the power company, but I cannot afford this kind of car.

The driver's door opened.

Are you freaking kidding me?

You are honestly going to park there so you don't get wet and don't have to walk too far, and make us walk around your sweet ride to get to the store? In the fire lane?

I just stood there for a second, in the rain, and watched in disbelief. Then I conspicuously checked for a disabled parking permit or plate, even though this spot was well beyond that privilege, but there was none. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's an inconsiderate doofus who just wants to grab a newspaper from the machine or toss some garbage.

No, he walks in the store, grabs a cart. A cart!

That was the last straw.

I had just finished several hours working on a project at one of the stations, and was still wearing my uniform T-shirt under my decidedly non-uniform plaid pullover/coat. Nice. I walked in, took off the coat, found him, and stood directly in front of his cart until he was forced to look up to see who was blocking his importantness, glaring back at him.

I didn't even ask.

Move your car out of the fire lane and park it. The fire lane is for emergencies, and you are not an emergency. You can walk through the rain like the rest of us.

His face curled. I thought he was going to say something, but a few other witnesses were nearby, maybe that gave him second thoughts. He left his cart right there without a word.

I watched him walk out. I don't think he even came back in the store.

I know I wasn't supposed to do it like that. But it felt wonderful!

The rest of my day was great.


No comments:

Post a Comment